An Agri-park is a networked innovation system of agro-production, processing, logistics, marketing, training and extension services, located in a District Municipality. As a network it enables a market-driven combination and integration of various agricultural activities and rural transformation services. The Agri-park comprises three distinct but interrelated basic components:
- The Farmer Production Support Unit (FPSU) -a rural small-holder farmer outreach and capacity building unit that links with farmers and markets. The FPSU does primary collection, some storage, some processing for the local market, and extension services including mechanisation.
- The Agri-hub (AH) - a production, equipment hire, processing, packaging, logistics, innovation and training unit.
- The Rural Urban Market Centre (RUMC). The RUMC has three main purposes;
- Linking and contracting rural, urban and international markets through contracts.
- Acts as a holding-facility, releasing produce to urban markets based on seasonal trends.
- Provides market intelligence and information feedback, to the AH and FPSU, using latest Information and communication technologies.